Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration Day

Barack Obama is now our president.  The fact that I cried when I say George Bush hugging people goodbye, and Barack Obama hugging people in the welcome of his presidency, I will blame on my pregnancy hormones.  It really was amazing seeing the hundreds of THOUSANDS of people gathered in the celebration of democracy.  I wish that I could have been there with that excitement and emotion in the air that you can't quite feel from the television.

Watching the prayers and the proud mention of God made me so thankful to live in this country.  It wasn't even only our country watching this today.  Children were up until midnight at schools in outher countries watching on television!  The whole world was watching.  And Aretha Frankin's rendition of "My Country Tis of Thee" was my favorite part.  I cried again.  I truly hope that this year will be as exciting and successful as everyone is optimistic for it to be.  It was amazing to watch history in the making...something we can talk with our children and grandchildren for years to come.

3 comments:

Kylie said...

You are so hilarious with the crying business!

I'm glad you watched the inauguration. I'm still watching Obama's speech. My favorite part of the whole inauguration was that they still offer an invocation and they still swear oath on the Bible.

I'm proud to be an American. And your sister. :)

Anonymous said...

Leisa...you can cry any day to me. I know how you feel. I just hate crying in front of Spencer's entire family. I feel like a complete MORON. They probably think I am the biggest wuss.

I haven't watched the inaguration. I was on the job hunt today...Blah..

Brady and Rachel said...

Apparently I'm the only one who's voted for the name Crew so far. I just think it is such a cute name, but then again that is one of my other cousin's little boys names on my mom's side of the family and he is such a cute kid, so maybe that's why I like it so much. All the names you have so far are so cute, so any would do, but crew is my favorite.