We went to my parents' cabin again last weekend. (June14-16). I have decided to post these trips as "episodes" because so much happened this last time.
Day 1: Golfing
After we got to Shelter Cove Saturday, Josh, my Dad and the boys decided to go golfing. The golf course is a small 9-hole course right along the shore next to the town's airstrip. You don't have to call ahead either, you just take your $10.00 and put it in the wooden box and you can golf as long as you want. Apparently 9 holes was too long. After the 7th hole, Josh (my brother) got whacked in the head by Nick. I have no hope that there is any safe sport now. They had to rush him home where my mom did minor surgery with liquid stitches. (super glue).

It wasn't all bad, Josh got spoon fed by me and Kadie while he played his Nintendo D.S.
That night Big Josh did a little "birding" off of the deck.
Day 2: No Church? Let's hit the Beach.
On Sunday we really tried to make it to church on time. It was Father's Day. Big Josh stayed at the cabin with Kadie because she was sick, and the rest of us high-tailed it on the twirly 45 minute road trip to the branch building. Alex was sitting in the way back not feeling so hot...so when we got there to discover that there was no church that day, this is how she looked.

Morgan got a kick out of the "Visitors Welcome" sign. Laney was bummed, the branch only has about 20 people that come regularly, and really no children. I think she wanted the nursery all to herself.


The Beach
We found the regular crabs and starfish, but also some new friends. Big Josh and Morgan hiked over some rocks to get some snap shots of the deer grazing along the waters edge and some fat seals living it up in the waves.

Laney was proud of her "baby frock" (little rock) that she found and took care of.
Nick and Josh made up after the golfing episode and had fun exploring the shore.
Day 3: First Time Fishing
Kadie was able to go fishing for the first time this trip. The guy at the bait shop told us that the best fishing that morning would be right off of the boat dock. I really didn't think anyone would catch a thing.

Wait a minute, what is going on? Is that Josh and Kadie reeling something in? "It's Probably just some seaweed" Dad told Kadie. Look a little closer...that is the Perch that Kadie caught!

While Josh was getting the hook out, Kadie's fish had a few baby fish! It actually grossed me out a little, but was interesting to learn that Perch are one of the only fish that actually birth their little fishy babies live.
Being the sensitive girl that she is, Kadie spent about 10 minutes crying because she felt bad for the baby fish. Then she decided to feed the mama fish some squid and then put the babies out to sea.

Here is another Fish that Josh caught, it looked bigger in person, I swear!
Laney didn't catch anything, but she had fun holding the rod.

That's all Folks! Until next time for episode three!
6 comments:
What a fun trip. How cool is that that the fish had babies!
How fun! When are we going to get together friend??? I miss you!!
holy cow! you have been busy! good time. we are at the beach right now and loving it! can't wait to hang out when we are both in town!
I will try to get up there then-that would be so fun!
I would have been totally grossed out about the birthing mama fish - ewww. I bet it was a shocker for sure... poor Kadie.
It looks like you had a fun time. So nice you guys have a place to "get away too".
That church story cracks me up. Alex looks superbly pissed and Laney looks totally heartbroken. I love that!
I'm grossed out by that fish having babies and I would have totally cried if I were Kadie. Congrats to her catching her first fish! And congrats to Laney and her "baby frock!"
Post a Comment