Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What's in a name?

Some families never use nicknames. What? I know! Weird.

Growing up I think my family used them more that our actual names. That would explain why I answer to "Saucy" and "Leiser". I also love being called Mama.
Josh always makes me feel good too when he calls me georgeous or sexy. :)

I have noticed that we all call Crew other names than his own. I don't think I have EVER called him Joshua Crew - except at the Dr's office. Trying to explain to them that he goes by "Crew" instead of Joshua got old after our 3rd visit.

Crew's nicknames are usually but not limited to Crew Boy and Crewser, and every once in a while we remember how Laney used to call him "Baby Cool" because she couldn't pronounce "Crew". Josh tries to sneak in "J. Crew" but I just think it is too weird, even though that really is him name. I have noticed lately we rarely even call him just Crew!

Poor kid. Once he starts school he is going to be so confused.
Or maybe we are preparing him for a life in the secret service where he will HAVE to have multiple identities? Hmmm? I don't think I like that, too dangerous.

Josh
a.k.a. Joshy, Big Josh (because I have a little bro Josh), Daddy
sexy, handsome, bab-ah

Kadie
a.k.a. beaner, dee dee, sissy (because she is the big sis, NOT because she is a wimp)
twirly, twirly-girl, honey-girl, sugar, little lady

Laney
a.k.a. Lanerz, Laney bug, twirly, twirly-girl, honey-girl, sugar, stinker

Sorry if we give you nicknames. It just means we think of you like family!

Let's hear YOUR nicknames!


5 comments:

brody&karee said...

Love this! We called Ainsleigh baby girl for the first I don't know how many months of her life, to the point that both of our moms said we had better start calling her by her name or she's never going to know it. Then, at some point in the first 6 months of her life she got the nickname doofy tater. That was quickly shortened to tater, at age 2 or so she would state her name as "Ainsleigh the tater Sariah Pack". Tater is now her forever nickname. Alexi had to have a nickname as Ainsleigh's had become nearly a second name used more than the first, to the point that we discussed it while I was still pregnant. We tried out a few, ran them all past Ainsleigh, and Doodles is what has stuck. She gets a lot more variations on Doodles than Ains does Tater, but it works. My childhood nickname was dimples, one YW leader called me blondie but it never stuck with anyone else, and in 5th or 6th grade my older sister started calling me dork. She and my mom both call me that, but mostly just her. It's an endearing term between us now, though I don't know if it really started that way. She still can't convince her kids (9, 6) that it really is okay for her to call me that when no one else can use the word, but all of my gifts and cards from her come addressed to "dork" and somehow I hope they always will. Thanks for the chance to share this - it makes me smile to write about it.

Kylie said...

I call Skylar "Sky Girl" and "Sky Baby" most of the time. I also call her "Tiny" but she's really not tiny.

Mike is "Mikey" or "Daddy" or "Hey, Canadian."

My nicknames are Sexy Sexy Sexy, Supa Sexy Hot Mama, and pretty much anything else with "sexy" in it. Apparently I exude sexiness. Even the bishop calls me Sister Sexy.

I'm campaigning to change our last name to Sexy. It will just make things easier when tax season comes around.

Leisa Waldron said...

Haha! Josh calls me sexy all of the time too, but I was too shy to put it in the post. :) Sister Sexy - lol.

Carla L. said...

I am Sexy Mama aka the Mother of Sexy(s)! Actually, I think that will have to be changed to Sexy Geezer...

I love how nicknames tend to morph. Alexandra went from Alexandra to Axie to Axie Pax to Ally Pal to Pallywanders to Alpo. She has more nicknames than anyone I know!

Morgan is Morganoni Macaroni. And Morgy Dorg, And Noni.

Kylie. Kyker Dikes, which she hates, and we can't make Dad stop calling her that. Kyliepers.

Nick. Nicky Big. Nickelodeon. Nickleberry Pie. Nickalicious.

Josh. Joshuas. Josharooni. Joshy Joop. Dosh.

Carla...hmmm...whatever.

Mama Winter said...

so cute :) I rarely ever call cash, cash. i call him bubba or buddy. but if he doesnt answer then i call him cash. haha

i call john, johnny boy & of course daddy

i am mama, mom, mommy, puvisnuffs, pumpkin ( from my dad )

isnt it funny how almost everyone does nicknames. so fun :) haha