There is no avoiding these insects in our house.
We have two Leopard Gecko's and two Australian Tree Frogs and this is what they eat.

What I would like to avoid? Having them roam around my house!
The Problem: The gecko's eat baby crickets, and they are so small that they can fit through the air holes in the top of the cricket cage. We were finding them all over upstairs! We tried putting the cage in with the crickets, then if one gets out it is just a little snack for Sassy or Lilly. But it was too warm and they all crispified.
I tried taping most of the air holes shut but then the cage gets stinky and they still die.
Unfortunately the gecko's don't like to eat dead crickets. So for now, until the gecko's get bigger and can eat the large crickets, the baby cricket cage is now in the garage, and will most likely just stay there. We might find a few loose here and there...oh well.
Crew boy cricket story:
The large crickets are for the frogs. They can not escape, so we just keep them under the cabinet in the girls bathroom. They chirp every once in a while, but mostly they are no problem at all. Crew has seen me get them out and feed the frogs. What I didn't know is that Crew has a fantastic memory, and when I wasn't paying attention he crawled up to the bathroom, opened the cabinet and let all of the crickets out. I am pretty sure he might have tried to eat one.
There were 10 crickets in the cage. 6 were accounted for immediately. One was behind the bathroom door, one smashed to the floor, and one one showed up later that night.
I found the last rogue cricket yesterday morning. Right as I walked out of my bedroom, there he was hopping along our entry way like he lived here! I thought it was a HUGE spider at first, but came to realize spiders don't jump 12 inches off the ground. I ran into the bathroom and grabbed some toilet paper. I just can't pick them up like Josh does. I grabbed him and headed up the stairs. He escaped two times, so go ahead and picture me squealing and waving toilet paper around trying to catch the little bugger.
Kadie's frog had a nice snack. And now, we keep the bathroom door shut at all times.
2 comments:
Way to go Crew! "Be free! Be free!" He is an animal activist in the making!
Hahahaha!! Oh, I love it! I told you, Crew is just like Sky. Show him something once and he'll remember it forever. Good luck with that!
I was thinking, maybe you could affix some screen (like window screen) to the cricket lid. It would cover the holes so the little dudes couldn't get out, but would still let air in and out.
Post a Comment