I love going to the Oakland Zoo with the kids. It is the perfect {small} size of zoo and still has all of the animals a kid would want to see. You can rush through the whole zoo in an hour! Or, just take your time and spend 3-4 hours there like we did today.
We didn't have any plans, but my friend Kristina invited us, and we always have fun with her and her kids. The weather was perfect, and the kids were so excited to spend time with friends and animals on a no school day.
It couldn't have been a better day. Beautiful weather, fun friends, and not at all crowded...until we got to the picnic area. We set up camp, and got out food while the kids played by the lily pads, the bunnies, and on the pretend giant bugs. Kristina and I were in the middle of a fun conversation when I heard some yelling. I look over to see a woman yelling at the "rabbit hole" slide. Apparently a child was blocking her crying child from getting through. I recognized the pink leggings and knew it was Laney.
I almost ran over, but stopped myself when the lady's friend joined in trying to get Laney out. Because they were yelling, I stayed back, embarrassed and not wanting them to know Laney was mine. Isn't that horrible! I am kicking myself for not running over now. I should follow my intuition. But it isn't exactly the first confrontation I have had about Laney. Sometimes I just want the whole situation to disappear.
To make a long story short, Laney was at the bottom of the slide. This woman's daughter went down the slide and bumped into Laney, so Laney turned around and scratched her. Yes, Laney overreacted, but she is 6! I wish I would have gone over and figured out what happened and thanked the lady for ganging up on my 6 year old and scaring her to death. But I didn't.
The best part was that after all of that "avoiding" I tried to do, Laney then comes running over to me yelling "MOM! Crew is in the bunny cage!" I then had to run past all of the mom's who were looking for me during the first shenanigan and then coax Crew out of the bunny cage. Poor Crew was just being a 2 year old and was having the time of his life chasing rabbits.
I also wish I would have said something sarcastic to the woman who said "He is scaring the bunnies to death!" when I passed her to find Crew. Seriously, those poor bunnies probably loved getting some exercise today.
Laney got a "talk" about treating others the way you want to be treated...the never-ending saga with her. I tried to explain to Crew that we can't go in the rabbit habitat, but he was just so excited to tell me about it I don't think our talk sunk in. After all was said and done, I also wish I would have taken a picture.
No comments:
Post a Comment