Friday, November 5, 2010

Hole in the Fence

Having a backyard is one of the best things about the house we live in.
The kids can go play care-free, and I can get dinner made while they do it!

Even though we have a fence, and there really is no way my kids would escape I still check in on them. I have to make sure no one ate something they shouldn't or is climbing on something they shouldn't, or sometimes it is just plain quiet which is not often a good thing.

When I peaked out the window while making dinner the other day, I didn't see Crew. When I walked outside, I still didn't see Crew. So I casually asked the girls where he was.

Kadie answered, "He's over there mama..." pointing to the side of the house. But when I walked over, still acting casual but starting to get a little nervous, I just said "No. He's not". So Laney yelled "Crew boy!" and we heard a little man yell back "Mam!" which is what he calls me now.

It was coming from the other side of the house, so we ventured quickly over there. Still no where in sight, we all started yelling "Crew!" and he would yell back "Mam!"

It went on for a few times...
"Crew!"
"Mam!"
"Crew!"
"Mam, MAM, Mam!"

Then Kadie started laughing and pointing at the fence. Looking through some loose boards was a smiling little boy with a strangely acquired southern accent. "Mam!" I quickly ran over and snatched him from our neighbors yard. We were all laughing, and I am pretty sure our neighbors were spying on us through their window.

I love when people ask if we have a dog, and I can honestly say Crew is the next closest thing.

1 comment:

Brady and Rachel said...

HAHA! after the fact though of course. Glad all was well, but what a great story to tell. One day I hope to meet these crazy 3 in person and see their awesome personalities in person. They sound SO AWESOME on the blog and stories always keep me laughing. One day.